Saturday, May 21, 2011

Baking


On a very rare occasion, I become ecstatic about baking.


When its all over, I stand by the kitchen absolutely petrified by the amount of butter and sugar content I just smothered onto my creation. 

Recently I went through the same episode of this baking seizure and reminded me of my housemate in college who used to bake stuff all the time.  She wasn't exactly the social type, judging from the fact that she stayed home most of the time and that I never really recall her bringing any of her friends over during that year.  It didn't take me long to speculate that one of the reasons for her social ineptness was the way her facial expression stayed still in a very uncomfortable way when we would have a conversation. 

Nevertheless, she was nice enough to always share her baked goods.  In fact, when I say always, I mean ALL THE TIME.  I'd often come down the stairs high as a kite and then find her freshly baked cookies patiently waiting for me with my housemate never in sight.   Back then I only thought as far as appreciating how F'n awesome it was to have tasty sweets conveniently available as soon as I smoked a bowl.


It was not until I graduated college I learned how to bake cookies, let alone learned the amount of butter it takes to make a batch.  Now that I look back, I can think of several good reasons for her to murder me and rest of my housemates by slowly inducing diabetes in all of us with her cookies.  The walls in the house we lived in were made of tissue paper so I'm sure we made a lot of noise partying and coming home late.  When she did bake cookies, at least for my part, sometimes I would forget to thank her because she was not around.   or when she cracked a joke, no one laughed because at least for me, I was too busy trying to see when she would blink.  So this is how I imagine it went down:

But, I'm sure she didn't.

Anyway, I guess long story short, I made an apple tart the other day and here is how it turned out:
I forgot to put syrup on the apple before I took the pic.  = \  *sigh* I'd like to bake more but its just so hard to eat them after you see what goes inside.. = (


2 comments:

Stevie-Lyn said...

Hahaha I love this post and I love your illustrations!! Poor bug-eyed roommate :P

And your tart looks deelish! Yo go, Martha!!

paige said...

omg you are the greatest illustrator and story teller ever! hahaha. i know now to never bake you cookies. :P

and i agree with stevie, you go martha! send some to me please thanks. <3